About Me

My photo
I am an accidental Scientist. Creative and imaginative by nature, I had always thought I would be a writer/ editor for some largely famous company, but in the long run... DNA became my topic of choice and lifelong partner.

Friday, August 5, 2011

So I'm here!

So a new journey is taking place.... and I'm scared out of my mind. I'd love to be able to say that it all comes so easy, but quite the contrary, it's all so confusing and unclear.

Starting a new school and leaving the creature comforts of what's been your home for the last 5 years calls to mind a silent unnerving anxiety attack that won't go away until (I'm guessing) the end of my first semester and many bottles of wine or beer... or I guess whatever I can afford as a grad student will suffice.  I mean come on, I'm that cliche "small town girl who leaves her humble roots to pursue her big dreams in the big city". After all, I guess this is what I always wanted and worked hard for, but never imagined I'd get here.

So, I'm here! School is just 4 weeks away, and until now I've been frozen... with fear, anxiety, and excitement all rolled into one. How do I sign into the schools website? How do I access my school email? How do I find my academic advisor? How do I get into research? Which courses should I take and with whom? These are all questions I could ask anyone walking down the hallway at my last school, and now I have no one to ask. This feels intimidating, but I have to push through.Thank God for the internet.

Yesterday I completed my schedule  for the Fall term... and it was no easy task. It seems simple. "Here are the courses you need to take" and everything after that was a mess. It took me 5 weeks to figure out the new web-system, register for classes (the correct way), turn in Health Center related paperwork and find my NYU email. How can it take a "smart girl like me" 5 weeks to figure this out? I don't know, but thank goodness I gave myself time. I think "time" is the most important tool you can give yourself for any task (says the typing procrastinator who follows her advice 50% of the time).

So now that I'm registered, I've got to figure out where on this island are my classes? And anyone knows traveling in NYC is no easy task. Thank goodness for smart phones and Apps. Luckily I am decently familiar with the area and have some idea about travel time, traffic, and the buildings that are holding my classes. Orientation should be within the next few weeks and should answer many more of my questions.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment