About Me

My photo
I am an accidental Scientist. Creative and imaginative by nature, I had always thought I would be a writer/ editor for some largely famous company, but in the long run... DNA became my topic of choice and lifelong partner.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Right around the corner

    
    So it's official... I'm and NYU employee with a real ID. This was no easy feat and I'm glad it's over. Who would have thought the checklist that I need to have completed by the end of next week would be so daunting? Between paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, the shots from the employee immunizations dept that I have to keep going back for, the tuition reimbursement paperwork that looks impossible, amongst other types of paperwork (health, dental, lawyers, etc) it all seems never ending... and I couldn't be happier!
   
    On the other end.... that stuff is only for the employee part... not the Student part. That is a whole other checklist :( On my website, this is the type of "Back-to-School" checklist that I refer to www.thecurlyaccidentalscientist.com under Tips. Most students, including myself many times, were mostly caught up with the "normal" Back-to-School stuff like supplies, clothes, books, and well... not the important stuff that we all ignore until Holds appear on our scholarly accounts that prevent us from doing anything else. And it is this that I am trying to avoid as should you.
 
   I must say that my travels into NYC from NJ to accomplish these tasks have been quite interesting. I was on the E the other day (subway... not the drug) when a Mariachi band broke out in song and dance and wrapped up their performance by walking through the subway cart extending their cowboy hats for any charitable donations we were willing to give up. What was funny was the fact that everyone on board acted as if nothing was happening, as if they were so very used to these things happening all of the time. I smiled and kindly denied charity seeing as I myself am a poor struggling college student. But I was happy to see that others were willing to give.
  
    I was transferring from the E at Lexington to the 6 when I (a misplaced Southern Florida girl living in NJ for the last 5 years) heard music... live Country music coming from around the corner. It was nice to hear as I made my way to my destination, but upon returning 5 hours later, the same guy was standing there singing the same song as he had been singing 5 hours ago. This made me chuckle and I began to think of all of experiences I have yet to experience seeing as I am now a commuter to NYC.

I look forward to what NYC has to offer me in the coming years...
    

No comments:

Post a Comment