About Me

My photo
I am an accidental Scientist. Creative and imaginative by nature, I had always thought I would be a writer/ editor for some largely famous company, but in the long run... DNA became my topic of choice and lifelong partner.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

DNA-ing Myself


So, being the nerdy science geek that I am (and proud of being so) I was inspired by the Nat Geo's show on The Human Family Tree & their "Genographic  Project". Even more exciting? I could be part of it! How could I resist? Well, I couldn't....

So what is this project? National Geographic decided to make a map about the historical human migration patterns via collecting and analyzing thousands of DNA samples from people all over the world.
(http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/human-family-tree-3706-interactive) While watching the show I was intrigued by the possible migration patterns my ancestors could have taken, and the migrational journey of how they got to where they currently are.

How do they do this?
They can do this by testing your paternal DNA (on the Y chromosome) or your maternal DNA (Mitochondrial DNA). For females who want to test their paternal ancestrial migration patterns (females don't have a Y chromosome... it's what makes a male... well... a male) you can't be tested directly. You'll need a brother or cousin from your paternal side or any direct male descendent from your paternal grandfather will do.

I ordered the kit and recieved it within a few days. Although the kit is $99, other sites were wanting $250+ before this project came around. Before I had even watched the show I had heard of genetic courses offering this as part of their labs and was excited at the fact that any person could do this. But since I didn;t take that course,$250 is a lot of money to a student, so when I saw the chance for $99 I took it. The kit came with an abundant amount of information, the Genographic DVD, a poster containing all of the genetic markers they use to identify which migration patterns your ancestors took, and most importantly 2 cheek scrapers and 2 vials = 2 samples to make sure they get it right.

I'm super excited to get my results. I'm having my maternal DNA sequenced first and am excited for the results! Later, I will have to order a 2nd kit and have my brother  tested for our paternal DNA. I'll keep you updated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment